Friday 12 October 2012

The African Sound

"Listen, Oh! inhabitants of the earth
Hear it, Oh! all who can hear
To that simple African Melody
Ringing across the whole land"
And Africa is Capable of Talking now, Just Listen...















She exhilaratingly rejoices
As she joyfully boasts
"I can care for myself
I can live on my own
I can also die on my own"

Yet how miserable she seems
Her countenance is grotosque
She is pained for her long struggle
She tries to maintain her posture
Woe unto her,
She cannot stand attention.

She says," Oh! I chased him
The man of white skin
That I may live alone
And enjoy my own land"
Yet who is not able to see
That she is already haggard
That she is so famished
And already ready to die.
Her voice is faint and miserable
And its daily diminishing
Who knows, soon,
There might be no African sound.
 
Courtesy of the Rising Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you love this poem? Drop a comment below....